The secret to meringues is that you want them to dehydrate rather than cook.
- 3 egg whites
- 6oz golden caster sugar
- 3 - 4 tsp Rose Extract or vanilla
Oven 170' Aga floor on bottom oven / Preheat the oven to fan 100C/ conventional 110C/gas 1⁄4.
You can place the meringues on a lightly oiled baking sheet before cooking on a silicon mat or I find using a lined pizza tray or stone works well.
1. Whisk egg whites slowly in an electric mixer or with an electric had mixer, use a high sided bowl, until very firm. You should be able to hold bowl upside down & nothing drops out - children love it when you do this over their heads.
2. Mix in 3/4 sugar on low speed, adding only a little at a time. The mix should look really glossy.
3. Fold in the rest of the sugar using a figure of eight motion
4. Fold in the rose extract or vanilla
5.Spoon large dollops onto a preprepared baking tray ensuring space has been left between the meringues and then cook
6. Bake for 1 1⁄2- 2 hours in a fan oven, 1 1⁄4 hours in a conventional or gas oven, and up to 2 hours in the Aga. The meringues are ready when they sound crisp when tapped hours