Shabbat Shalom my friends. As Passover has just started I wanted to share with you my recipe for Challah Bread which is a traditional Jewish sweet white bread.
2 large free range eggs
2 large free range egg yolks, white saved to brush over the bread prior to cooking
1/4 cup rapeseed oil I used Broighter Gold
2 instant yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
- Dissolve the yeast
- While it is dissolving mix the dry ingredients, add the yeast and lukewarm water
- Mix to form a rough dough that is shaggy and hard to mix
- Knead for up to 9 minutes - 12 by hand - until smooth and it holds a ball shape
- Place in an oiled bowl and let the dough rise until doubled in size, divide into three balls
- Roll each ball into a sausage sized rope about 12’’ long
- Braid the dough, start by gathering the ropes and squeeze at the top, then plait
- Brush with egg yolks, leave to raise again about 30 minutes, then brush with the reserved egg white mixed with a dash of honey and water, brush the entire loaf, then bake at 200’c
- Bake for 25-35 minutes turning your baking sheet 1/2 way through the cooking. The Challah is done when it is a rich glossy brown colour.
- Slice when barely warm and serve with soup
- The next day make French Toast with the bread or eat as toast with jam or honey.
That's it for now ...
Salt & Sparkle = Life Remarkable