My brother's girlfriend is Vietnamese, and she has introduced me to a hot and spicy, refined and elegant cuisine, that has layers of flavour, texture and real freshness. Inspired by a conversation we had last week I made this Carrot Salad, with mint, and a pickle that combined seasame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and a touch of honey. As I was cooking for those who can't eat heat, I didn't add any chilli, but I think it really enhances the dish. The salad takes moments to put together, but it is in the leaving of it overnight, which brings real depth to the flavours.
- 7 - peeled, and grated organic carrots
- 1 - large bunch of mint finely chopped
- 1 packet of beansprouts
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 finely sliced red chilli pepper
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp honey
- 4tbsp seasame oil
- 3tbsp white rice vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients for the pickle together in a jam jar, shake well until the mixture is combined
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a large bowl
- Pour the pickle over the carrots, toss and then leave either overnight or for as long as you can before serving
This salad is a great to accompany BBQ'd meats or grilled chicken.
Let me know what you think?
That's it for now ...
Salt & Sparkle = Life Remarkable