Summer is over. Sadly! Are you crying? I have to admit I'm not overly happy about the prospect of chilly air, feet in shoes and socks, and leaves falling. Well scrap that last one actually, leaves falling is a canopy of glorious colour. But the dark nights, not so sure about those. Yet again there is the rather special light in November.
Lots of people will be giving you recipes for potpies, apple tarts, warming rustic soups, and me, well I am giving you a recipe for ice-cream cake! As ice-cream although associated with summer, is really perfect anytime of the year, night or day. Ice-cream soft, slippery and sensational, sweet on the tongue, cooling on the throat and rich. It is the most beautiful food.
Over the summer I saw a picture of an ice-cream cake, and was immediately intrigued, and started playing with recipes. Ice-cream cake is really a question of layering, the ingredients, wrapping, flash freezing and serving. You can trust me when I say, it will all be gone, all of it in one go.
Children adore making ice-cream cake. It's controlled messy. Piles of sweeties, squishy marshmallows, oreo cookies to crunch, sprinkles, lots of sprinkles, because truly, sprinkles just make everything better.
If you are making this with children, make sure their hands are very clean, and keep some anti-bact wipes on hand as little hands go into the ice cream and into bowls of sweeties. As well as into little mouths.
With children and teens back at school this week, a comfortable treat is needed at the weekend, and ice cream cake is possibly the most decadent divine dessert to make at times like this.
You can shake up the ingredients as much as you wish, the secret is all in the layering. I've made this one with chocolate swiss roll cake, but you could just as easily use pound cake spread thickly with nutuella.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 pound cake thinly sliced and spread with nutuella or 1 chocolate swiss roll sliced
- 2 litres of ice cream - I used a litre each of vanilla and raspberry ruffle
- 1 packet of oreos crushed
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of smarties
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sprinkles depending on how many children you have helping
There are two ways to do this, either using a clear glass bowl which will look beautiful as the layers of the ice cream cake can be seen clearly through glass. Or use baking paper to line a dish then place on a serving plate.
- Using a freezerproof bowl layer slices of cake with ice cream and sweets, cookies and sprinkles alternatively, until you have used all your ingredients.
- Flash freeze for up to 30 minutes - too long and it will go rock hard and be very unplesant to eat
- Serve in slices or scoops
That's it for now ...
Salt & Sparkle = Life Remarkable